Gonorrhea is the second most commonly reported STD with 820,000 new cases reported annually. Both men and women can contract the disease which may or may not have symptoms.
If symptoms do appear in men, they’re likely to experience:
- The need to pee much more often, and with more urgency
- Discomfort around the penis or testicles (pain, swelling, burning)
- Discolored discharge from the penis
- Sore throat
Symptoms in women are different, but many ladies don’t experience any at all.
If women do experience symptoms, they commonly include:
- Symptoms that act like a yeast infection
- Have to pee much more often, and with more urgency
- Sore throat and/or fever
- Pain during sex
- Sharp pain the abdomen
- Irregular periods
Who’s gonorrhea testing for?
Gonorrhea testing is painless. All we need is a urine sample.
The CDC recommends the following people be routinely screened each year:
- all sexually active women younger than 25 years
- older women with risk factors such as new or multiple sex partners, or a sex partner who has a sexually transmitted infection
- all sexually active gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)
Most cases of gonorrhea can be cured by taking antibiotics.
Test Smartly Labs offers confidential testing for gonorrhea or any other STD.